Saturday 18 July 2009

Family






Family is so important, and I'm really lucky to have an amazing family around me. I've got a really big family, stretching from London, to Harlow, to Malta. I've got family that I see everyday, and some that I only see every few years.

I was the first grandchild on my Mum's side, and the only granddaughter for 11 years which means I have always been extremely spoiled. I am the second youngest on my Dad's side, and grew up with my Nan and Grandad taking and picking me up from school while Mum and Dad were at work. I am extremely close with both sets of grandparents, and I never tire of spending time with them. Our Sunday tradition involves tea round my nans, with crackers, crisps, chicken sandwiches and the odd bread & butter pudding which we have done every week since I can remember. I've got my own room at my nan's (I like to think), and It would be the first place I would stay if the occasion arises.

My grandad on my Mum's side is Maltese, and he provides a strong Mediterranean influence (unfortunately I didn't inherit the complexion, like many of my cousins, aunties and uncles), and has given me a lovely extended family in Malta whom we visit when we travel there on holiday.

Getting together with my Mum's family including grandparents, aunties, uncles, and 6 younger cousins (5 of them boys) is a regular, but special occasion. There is always something new to talk about, a doggy to cuddle and a lot of food to enjoy which all make me rather happy.

My Mum is a really special person to me, she would do absolutely anything if it meant making me happy, and we are alike in so many ways. She gave me my red hair by eating nothing but tomato soup, orange lollies and oranges when she was pregnant, and at one stage I saw this attribute as a curse, but now I see that it is very much a blessing.

My Dad is an important figure in my life. He works incredibly hard for our family, and although I perhaps don't show it as much as I should, I can't imagine life without him. He would drive anywhere if it meant there were shops to keep me and my Mum happy, and he would stand outside waiting all day without moaning.

My brother is extremely talented, he certainly got the brains out of all of us. He is extremely patient with me, and destined to achieve big things - not that I'd tell him that..his head is big enough already!

My sister is a truly special person in my life. I remember growing up someone said to me that having a half-sister meant you didn't have a proper sister, but I learnt that they were wrong. I have always looked up to my sister, wanting to be just like her. We always saw eachother every two weeks for the weekend, but we still used to write eachother letters inbetween. She's such a caring person who longs to make others happy, and is really special to me.

My boyfriend is the newest member of the family, but has fitted in perfectly. Being together at a young age meant he has been able to really get to know my family, and spend a lot of time at home with us. He gets the biggest dinners, the whole dining table to do his artwork, and anything he wants from the fridge and cupboards. In 3 years he has spent more time with his in-laws than most men do in a lifetime!




No comments:

Post a Comment